Impact of Family and Student Factors on Student Attitude Towards Reading in Governmental and Non-Governmental High School of Debre Birhan City
American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics
Volume 7, Issue 6, November 2018, Pages: 200-206
Received: Sep. 4, 2018;
Accepted: Sep. 20, 2018;
Published: Oct. 24, 2018
Views 520 Downloads 55
Gebremedhin Desta, Department of Statistics, College of Natural and Computational Science, Debre Birhan University, Debre Birhan, Ethiopia
Reading is the identification of the symbols and the association of appropriate meaning with them. It requires identification and comprehension. Comprehension skills help the learner to understand the meaning of words in isolation and in context. The purpose of this research is to determine the reading attitudes and Impact of Family and Students Factors on Students Attitude towards Reading of grade 9th and 10th high school students in Governmental and Non-Governmental High School of Debre Birhan City. Totally 247 students from two high schools is chosen according to random sampling method. In order to answer the research questions in the study, “the Attitude Scale towards Reading “was used. For the statistical analyses SPSS 20 was applied. In this study, 48.2 percent of high school students have negative reading attitude whereas the remaining 51.8 percent of the students have positive reading attitude with average reading attitude of the sample respondent 59. The chi-square test of independence indicates gender, place of coming, grade level, both mother and father education level and participation of the student in group discussion have statistically significant association with reading attitude of students (p-value <0.05). From the binary logistic regression high school students’ reading attitudes differs significantly by student age, studding schedule, place of coming, attending in class and group discussion, Education level of both parents, weather condition of the city, grade level and Average financial income but not by gender, school type and economic status of the family.
Impact of Family and Student Factors on Student Attitude Towards Reading in Governmental and Non-Governmental High School of Debre Birhan City, American Journal of Theoretical and Applied Statistics.
Vol. 7, No. 6,
2018, pp. 200-206.
Copyright © 2018 Authors retain the copyright of this article.
This article is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
) which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Palani, K. K. (2012). Promoting Reading Habits and Creating Literate Society.
Dadzie, P. S. (2008). Reading for Education: The roles of Libraries. Ghana Library Journal
Ünal, E. (2010). An analysis of the reading attitudes of elementary school fourth and fifth grade students. The New Educational Review, 22(3-4), 117-127.
Allport, G. W. (1935). Attitudes. In C. Murchison (Ed) Handbook of Social Psychology, Worcester, Mass: Clark University Press.
Riddell, A. R. (1997). Assessing designs for school effectiveness research and school improvement in developing countries. Comparative Education Review, 41(2).
Squire R. James. (1999). Language Arts. Handbook of Research on Improving Students Achievement. Education Research Service. Arlington.
Elley, W. B. (Ed.). (1994). The IEA study of reading literacy: Achievement and instruction in thirty-two school systems. Exeter, England: Pergamon.
Baker, D. P., Goesling, B., &Letendre, G. K. (2002). Socioeconomic status, school quality, and national economic development. Comparative Education Review, 46(3).
Yavuz, M. (2009). Factors that affect mathematics-science (MS) scores in the secondary education institutional exam: An application of structural equation modeling.
Arslan, Y., Çelik, Z., & Çelik, E. (2009). Determination of university students’ attitudes towards reading habit. Pamukkale University Journal Of The Faculty Of Education, 26, 113-124.
Balcı, A., Uyar, Y., & Büyükikiz, K. K. (2012). The examination of reading habits, frequency to use library and attitudes towards reading of 6th grade primary school students. International Periodical For The Languages, Literature And History Of Turkish Or Turkic, 7/4, 965-985.
Mete, G. (2012). A research on elementary 8th grade students’ reading habits (Malatya sample). Journal of Language and Literature Teaching, 1(1), 43-66.
Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2010). PISA 2009 results: Learning trends: Changes in student performance since 2000
Petscher, Y. (2010). A meta-analysis of the relationship between student attitudes towards reading and achievement in reading.
McKenna, M., Kear, D., & Ellsworth, R. (1995). Children's attitudes toward reading: A national survey. Reading Research Quarterly, 30, 934- 955.
Mitchell, T., & Ley, T. (1996). The reading attitudes and behaviors of high school students.